Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Competition

I despise competition. I hate every form of it. Competition in sports, in boys, in fashion, in social life... It is in practically every part of life, but I try to avoid it every chance I can.

Sports: I am soooo incredibly horrible at sports, it is exasperating. I try to move my arms and legs at the same time to be able to shoot a basket, but when I shoot, I am off by a mile. When I extend my arms to bump back a volley, somehow the ball ricochets off my arm in the opposite direction... my arms aren't crooked or anything are they? Unfortunately, sports are very competitive. When I am just playing a game with some friends, they are way fun. But put me on a team and I go nuts. Everyone knows I am bad, so they never pass me the ball. And there is a lot of shoving, and shouting, and poor sportsmanship. Sports is a big deal a lot of the time. In High school, if you were on a sports team it pretty much automatically boosted your social status. And social competition is way not fun either...

Girls will do just about anything to get attention. I feel like there is always competition when it comes to girls. I get paranoid because I am not pretty enough, or smart enough. I am not flirty enough to get the guy, not cool enough to be invited to the party. Not outgoing enough to be in the 'cool' crowd, not fun enough to be considered her 'best friend'. Feelings of inadequecy always haunt me when it comes to competition. I am not talented enough to beat anyone at any sport, and not cool enough to have a chance in the social world.

But then I think of all the things I have going for me. I have a family. A stable, loving family who would do absolutely anything for me. There is no harsh competetion within the home! I don't need to impress anyone at home. I also don't have to compete for my clothes, food, shelter.

No comments: